Yup!! that’s me!! In this tutorial i’ll teach you how to add these amazing so called ‘electric beams’ to your pics using photoshop. To get these light effects you dont need to download any custom brushes/swirls or any photoshop elements. Just follow exactly these simple steps and you’ll end up with amazing pic with an light beam.
Before you start the process just check these things. This Effect doesn’t go well with brighter photos as you can see in my pic above. So before you start make some adjustments to the pic to reduce the light from your pic. Best thing to do is to go to hue/saturation from adjustments panel and reduce the lightness. you could also reduce the brightness or contrast.
1. Open your pic and unlock your layer. Create a new layer from bottom of your layers palette.This will be your stroke layer.
2. Select the Pen tool from the tools pallet and draw spiral lines around the object around which you want light beam. This is the most tricky part of the tutorial if you don’t know how to use a pen tool. If you don’t just google it you’ll find lots of tutorials after you complete it save your file.
3. Now select Brush tool,but dont brush anything. Just add these settings at the top.Master diameter as 7px. Flow,Opacity and Hardness 100%.
4. Now Go back to the Pen tool and right click on your lines you’ve drawn before. You’ll see a option as ‘stroke path’ click it and a window will pop out.
selest brush from the drop down menu, check the ‘stimulate presure’ and click ok.
>> Now You could see a thick white line on you pic. Since you’re drawing the beam around a object you must remove some part of the beam as it will be behind the object.
5. To do this With your stroke layer selected click on add a layer mask on bottom of the layers palette. Use polygonal lasso tool to select the parts of the stroke you want hidden behind the object. After you select it make sure the layer mask you created is selected if not click the icon next to your stroke layer icon. Now right click on the area you have selected and chose fill option, Fill it with black color. You’ll observe that the stroke hides after that.
>> Now you have completed your stroke next set of settings is to make it look like a light effect
6. Right Click on your stroke layer and select blending options. select outer glow with these settings (Blend Mode:Color Dodge; Opacity:52 ; and blue as color to use blue click on the small box below noise). Next select Inner Glow with these settings (Blend Mode:Normal;Opacity:75; and again blue).
6. Right click on you stroke layer to the side in layers palette and select Duplicate layer. Next select the copy layer and right click on that, You’ll see clear layer style as we made this layer only to iluminate the beam. Go to Filter>Blur>Gausian Blur and add a blur of 7px.
>> Now you have made a nice illuminating beam now add small sparkles/white dots to make it more realistic
7. Select the background layer and using brush add white spots with gap but use a diameter of 3-5 px.
8. Now add another thinner beam just below the thick beam to get a motion effect. Just repeat the same procedure to get the thick beam but set the brush with 3-4 px diameter and 50% opacity.
9. This is an option step to add shimmer to your pic. some people might not get this step so better save your file again now. Right click on the stroke layer while pressing cntrl or command button.your path will be selected.Go to Select › Modify › and Expand the selection by 7px, then feather it select>modify>feather by 10px.Now select your background photo layer and apply a Plastic Wrap filter, found in your Artistic filters. This will add some wispy lines around your path. Set the Highlight Strength to 20, the Detail to 6, and the Smoothness to 8. Finally, lightly Gaussian Blur your background layer with the feathered selection still active.
Well this is how you do it. If you dont get it correct feel free to comment, I’ll help you